Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Death of a Dust Bunny

   Ah motherhood. What a joy you are. And the single motherhood inflicted by your spouse traveling for work, delightful. I have just this evening murdered some very old dust bunnies from behind my sofa, which hasn’t moved since we moved in over two years ago. (I told you they were old.) 
   Our living room had become impassable. I don’t mean if you picked your way across it you could maybe find a path to the other side. I mean layers of stuff. The sofa (the dusty bunny sanctuary) had no cushions or throw pillows or throw blankets on it. The toy chest full of stuffed animals was empty. Actually - almost all the containers of toys in that room were remarkably bare. If adults were responsible for this level of mess, it would have taken weeks for it to get this bad, maybe even months. Instead the responsibility lies squarely on the shoulders of a 2 and 4 year old, so it took five minutes. 
  We worked together and ‘cleaned’ it up. It felt great. I looked around, felt internal calm, and then I got up to go throw the box (yes I said box) of trash away. I passed through the ‘dining room’ (read eating and art’ing and activity and lego and puzzle area). Then I entered the kitchen. I washed the cup to give the toddler her milk before bed and took them to get baths. I was so disheartened upon my return downstairs to murder dust bunnies, that after my homicidal urges were exhausted, I put the vacuum away. Feeling defeated by mess, I am now in PJ’s in bed, writing a blog, debating which movie I should watch on Netflix or Amazon Prime. 

     So be encouraged cyber world of mommies (and daddies). You are not alone. I should note, I feel absolutely no guilt for calling it a night at 8:50 pm. My children were taught, loved, hugged, cuddled, fed, engaged, and bathed today. Not to mention the dusty bunny homicides. All together,  a successful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment