Tuesday, January 3, 2012

An Introduction


My name, for our purposes, will be JK. I am not quite 30 years old, that’s a hurdle we can cross together. I am a new mom, a navy wife of  four years, and a licensed attorney – who does not actively practice. I have lived my life until now exclusively beneath the Mason-Dixon line, though I have been blessed to travel fairly extensively. I have been told many times by various people that if I wrote a blog, they would definitely read it…let’s see how many of them still think my thoughts are worth reading after a few posts.
              It is my intention at the outset of this blog to not bore you with the every day comings and goings of my life. However, since most writers say their lives inform their writing, I cannot promise this won’t mostly be about my life, thoughts, experiences, or questions. I can and will promise to try to make it informative, interesting, and hopefully at least a little humorous. I think I shall make it a goal to not have more than two posts in a row without at least one laugh out loud moment.
            I am writing now at the urging of my beloved mother. I think she is right that it will be good for me to have something to occupy the grey matter – as Hercule Poirot would say. And so I begin….

            Where to start. I hesitate to give you a detailed description of my life because that seems boring, but moving around and continually meeting new people has given me a great appreciation of how very interesting a life I have gotten to lead. Not, I dare say because I am necessarily interesting, but the experiences I have been afforded – and not by being part of the 1% - have been interesting.
            Some of my first memories are of using a cinder block for a toilet outside because I did not want to be bothered with halting play to go indoors; or of my dad calling me over to see the copperhead he had just beheaded only to have the disembodied head chase me. I’ve been frog giggin’ and I’ve asked directions of a transvestite hooker in Athens (Greece that is). I collected cicada shells for a year or two. I mastered spotting flounder during a Jubilee and went gator hunting during a tropical storm. I attended a private non-religious school, an Episcopal school, a Southern Baptist school, a public boarding school, and was home-schooled for a year. I was christened a Methodist, have my first memories of church in a Church of God, was fully dunked a Southern Baptist, and settled on the Presbyterians by adulthood. I’ve been accused of being a conservative wacko and a liberal nut all in the same year. I’ve helped on two gubernatorial campaigns, assisted the first Pilipino elected to the VA house of delegates (by 13 or 16 votes, I can’t remember which), and worked as a lawyer on election day in 2008. I’ve studied FISA under Ashcroft and interned for my Congressman. I saw Regan interred in the Rotunda and ran in heels in a stampede when the Capitol Hill police yelled bomb when what they meant was plane.  These are some of the things that jump out at me as I sit here and scan through my life without a near death experience driving my recollection.
            I look forward to sharing thoughts and stories, quests for answers, frustrated rantings, and hopefully some helpful tips about housewifery, motherhood, and life in general. Stay tuned for another installment, probably could be called my first, soon. 

4 comments:

  1. Loved it Magnolia!! :) Look forward to reading more.
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you! Looking forward to future posts :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! Welcome to the blogging world, JK. I can't wait to read more - much love from Deutschland - LLB

    ReplyDelete